BOARD OF DIRECTORS POSITION
The Fraternity Housing Corporation (FHC) is seeking candidates for an open position on its Board of Directors, for a two-year term that begins on August 1, 2023.
The FHC elevates the experience of Alpha Gamma Delta members through spaces that promote community, learning, and growth. With a not-for-profit model focused on ownership and high-net rental relationships the FHC manages a portfolio valued in excess of fifty million dollars.
Through its owned property management company, the FHC handles staffing needs, food service, cleaning, utilities, leasing, and day-to-day management of chapter facilities. The FHC Board of Directors casts the vision, sets the standards and monitors the performance of the corporation, professionally led by our Chief Executive Officer.
To facilitate effective decision-making and strategic planning, the board seeks members with a wide variety of backgrounds and experience, which may include corporate finance, banking, law, strategic planning, real estate, construction, property management, entrepreneurship, non-profit management, higher education or broad Fraternity experience. Prior experience on a corporate or non-profit board may also be helpful.
Additionally, the FHC Board governs using the Carver Policy Governance Model. Experience with or a willingness to learn and practice Policy Governance, as defined by John Carver in Boards that Make a Difference, is required.
BOARD MEMBER JOB DESCRIPTION
Title: Director, Fraternity Housing Corporation
Team: FHC Board of Directors
Reports to: The President of the Board and accountable to the members of Alpha Gamma Delta
Supervisory Responsibilities: FHC Chief Executive Officer
Team Structure: The Board consists of three to five members, one of who is a member of International Council. Directors are appointed for 2-year terms, and may serve for a maximum of 4 terms. The Chief Executive Officer, who reports to the FHC Board, leads the FHC staff.
Minimum requirements: See below.
Estimated time requirement: Weekly time requirement varies.
There will be minimally six video conference meetings per year, usually in the evening or on the weekend. There may be one to two in-person meetings per year, which may include a chapter site visit, usually beginning with Friday dinner and ending by mid-afternoon on Sunday. A significant amount of reading and review is required prior to meetings and at other times, as needed. Attendance at joint meetings with International Council/Foundation and/or at International Convention may be required. This is a corporate board position – within reason, board members should be available to respond quickly to the needs of the organization.
Estimated travel requirement: Up to 2 to 3 weekends per year
Summary: The Fraternity Housing Corporation elevates the value of Alpha Gamma Delta membership through the spaces that promote community, learning, and growth, to the extent that human and financial resources prudently allow. All properties are to be safe, competitive and complementary of the brand standards and visual identity of Alpha Gamma Delta. The FHC is a separate corporation from the Fraternity and the Foundation, with its own Board. It manages the Alpha Gamma Delta Fraternity chapter properties and related staff; it builds and renovates chapter properties; it works in partnership with the Fraternity and Foundation. Each chapter property is organized as a separate LLC.
- The FHC Board does not do the work of the organization, but rather casts the vision, sets the standards for and monitors the performance of the professionally led corporation.
- The FHC Board governs using the Carver Policy Governance model.
- Preparation for, attendance at and active participation in all board video conferences and in-person meetings.
- Attendance at chapter site visits/member linkage events, as requested
- Attendance at joint board meetings with our partner organizations, Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation and Alpha Gamma Delta Fraternity
- Attendance at Fraternity wide events, such as International Convention, as requested
- Contribute financially to the Fraternity via alumnae dues and to the Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation
- Experience with, or a willingness to learn and practice, Policy Governance, as defined by John Carver in Boards that Make a Difference
- Integrity and Accountability: demonstrate high ethical standards in personal and professional life
- Informed judgment: able to apply intelligence and wisdom to decision making; able to understand disruptive risks and trends and their impact on the organization
- Financial literacy: able to read and understand financial statements, indices for evaluating financial position and future financial planning
- Respect for others: willing to listen to others and to raise tough questions in a way that encourages open discussion, brings forth needed information, and develops end results
- High Performance Standards: exhibit a personal and/or professional history of achievement
- Strong communication skills and a willingness to serve as both an internal and external ambassador for the FHC
- To facilitate effective decision-making and strategic planning, the board seeks a wide variety of backgrounds and experience. Helpful experience may include corporate finance, banking, law, strategic planning, real estate, construction, property management, entrepreneurship, non-profit management, higher education, or broad Fraternity experience. Prior experience on a corporate or not-for-profit board may also be helpful.
Click here to apply to join the FHC Board of Directors.